This post contains affiliate links. For our full advertising disclosure, see our About page.
It’s the 4th of July weekend, and chances are, you’re invited to a pot luck this weekend. Well never fear — I just threw together the BEST summer corn and tomato salad, all stuff that’s fresh and in season right now.
- 2 ears fresh corn
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved*
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 serrano pepper, de-seeded, and finely chopped*
- 1/2 a bunch of green onions, chopped*
- 1 tbsp bacon grease (we collect bacon grease whenever we cook bacon, so that we have it for cooking needs like these…if you don’t have bacon grease available, try cooking about 1/2 packet of bacon, dice the bacon, and pour the bacon & grease into this salad)
- 2 tbsp Zesty Italian dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, if you like it
(*The ingredients with asterisks are things I grew in my own raised bed garden!)
- Remove husks and thread from corn, and place in boiling water for 8 minutes
- While corn is cooking, cut/dice other ingredients per above instructions, and place in a large bowl.
- Remove corn from water and let cool for about 10 minutes. Using a knife, slice corn kernels off the ears, adding the to the bowl. Discard the remaining cores.
- Add the bacon grease and salad dressing, and toss the salad together.
For my fellow Weight Watchers, just sub out the regular feta for Athenos Fat Free Feta. Under the Smart Point plan, this recipe for corn and tomato salad makes 3 servings and each servings is 5 points.
You can serve it warm, or refrigerate after tossing, and it will still taste great. It’s really the bacon grease that makes it – I know it sounds a bit strange, but it gives it a savory, smoky flavor that you just won’t get otherwise. Totally makes the difference. Really, you could add bacon or even chopped shrimp, and turn this dish into a main course as well.
I may eat this corn and tomato salad, and nothing but this salad, the entire rest of the summer. Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: Mrs. Millennial has lost 22 lbs so far with the Weight Watchers plan! If you’re interested in starting your own transformation, Weight Watchers is offering MM readers this special offer: Sign up for Weight Watchers Online Plus + an Apple Watch! Join now and save over $125 a year. See site for details. Limited time only, expires 9/22/2017.